Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weymouth Woods 100K Jan. 14th, 2012

I was the first to register for Weymouth Woods 100K a few months ago and at the time, it was just this distant race in the future that I would eventually run. But race day crept up on me until suddenly, it was here! In the days leading up to Jan. 14th, I felt surprisingly calm and ready. I had done New River 50K and three 40 milers (Hinson Lake, Pine Mtn, and a training run) during Sept- Dec. 2011, so I had some good ultra experience under my belt. Weymouth was to be a "dress rehearsal" of sorts for my ultimate goal of the Umstead 100 on March 31st, 2012 and would only be my second time completing the 100K distance. The first time being at Umstead 2011. The only thing that slightly worried me was the weather report which predicted lows in the high 20's and highs during the day in the low 40's. After my DNF (Did Nothing Fatal) at Umstead last year, I am a bit paranoid about hypothermia. So I gathered every bit of warm running clothing I owned and headed to Southern Pines, NC, with my friend Joey Anderson, who was kind enough to swing by and pick me up dark and early on race morning.

When we arrived, I set up my stuff alongside the side walk just after the start/finish of each lap. Comprised of 14 laps of 4.47 miles, the course is a nice set up for trying out a hydration, eating, and gear plan because you can adjust lap by lap if needed. It was in the high 20s at the start but it was clear and the wind from the previous day had died down - thank goodness! I saw several of my running friends at the start and lined up with my training buddy Gene. We started off at 8 AM and entered the wooded trail. The trail loop was a nice mix of roots and packed dirt, sand, pine straw, smooth path, and a few easy hills. There were two aid stations, the main one at the start/finish and a second one half way through the lap. I was not sure how difficult the course would be never having been there before and knowing that it was single track, but I found it very manageable and a lot of fun to run. From the start, we walked every hill, resisting the temptation to keep running when others passed. I knew that it would be a long day and there would be plenty of time to get the job done. My primary goal was to finish within the allowed 20 hours, with no major issues, and feel I could continue if I needed to. My secondary goal was to finish under 18 hours (should be no problem barring any mishaps). Thirdly, I secretly thought I could finish in about 16 hours if I had a great day and ran very well.
Jade Wei, Bob Sites, and me at the start (Photo courtesy of Jim Wei)
Gene and I ran together, talking and enjoying the beautiful cold morning. The first 6 laps went well and we finished those in 6:13:41. We had just started our 7th lap when I saw my husband Chad and our two dogs ahead. They had just arrived after driving from our home in Raleigh. Jim Wei, who was there supporting his wife Jade, and volunteering as roving photographer, had told Chad that he had just missed us at the aid station and pointed out a shortcut to him so he could meet us on the trail. After a quick hello and hug, Chad handed off Amelia, our 9 year old Blue Tick Coonhound, to me and Gene and I continued down the trail. Amelia was excited, yet luckily better behaved than she normally is when running with me. That lap felt like it was my first of the day as I enjoyed watching Amelia experience a brand new place. Somewhere after the second aid station (1/2 way around), a herd of about 8 deer ran across the trail in front of us. Amelia perked up and watched them disappear into the woods, baying loudly. Pretty entertaining if you ask me!
Beginning of the First Lap (Photo Courtesy Jim Wei)
Before I knew it, another lap was done. I handed Amelia over to Chad, got ready to go out again, and then once I was all set to go, took Bogart, our 8 year old lab mix, off his hands . Apparently, Bogart had not been all too happy to be left and had been continuously whining while we were gone.  Bogart, me, and Gene headed off down the trail for our 8th lap. Bogart LOVES to run and he was very happy to join in the fun! Tongue lolling out, he trotted along at a steady pace. Pretty soon, we met up with another of my main running buddies, Bob Sites, and friend and fellow dog lover, Jimbo Plant. The four of us continued on until soon, I found myself and Bogart leaving the others behind as we were thoroughly enjoying our lap. When I reached the second aid station run by Doug Dawkins and Jimmy Ballard, Doug put down a bowl of water for Bogart which he lapped up. I was touched by the consideration Doug showed towards my furry pacer. It was starting to get dark when we finished the lap and I handed off Bogart so I could head inside to change into dry clothes for the night. It took me several minutes and by the time I was finally ready, Gene had arrived and was ready to head back out. Bob, who had lapped us earlier in the day, had gone on ahead. I grabbed my headlamp and we headed back out on the trail as the daylight quickly faded.

Me and Gene having a blast! Really!
This was when the race got interesting and more difficult. It had been cold all day, but the temperature began to quickly drop and it got a bit windy. I have done quite a bit of night running with my headlamp this fall and winter, so I was used to navigating in the dark. Gene and I were still moving pretty well, running easy on the downhills and flats and walking the uphills. I think it was on this 9th lap when I first noticed my right heel was rubbing. I began to think too much about it and got a little whiny. When we completed the lap, I went inside to check my foot and I had a raised three inch area on the inside of my heel. It wasn't a blister just yet, but it ended up being one. I changed my Injinji socks, tightened my laces, took two Ibuprofen (my first and only of the race) and we headed back out. The meds kicked in and I started feeling pretty good again. For the next few laps, Gene and I went at a slow steady pace, but always making forward progress. When I started thinking about the heated seats I would enjoy in the car on the way home, I made myself come back to what I was doing and told myself to enjoy the moment right now. We joked about how these were the days. When we are old and can't run anymore and are sitting in our rockers, we will say "Remember that time at Weymouth Woods running that 100K in the freezing cold and dark? That was so much fun! Now THAT was living!"
We partook of Jimmy and Doug's piping hot grits on laps 9-13. I had butter and salt with mine and they were awesome. At the main aid station, I enjoyed the delicious burgers, quesadilla, and grilled cheese during the cold night laps. At one point late at night, we paused to look up and were rewarded with a clear dark sky and brilliant stars.

Finally, we started on our final and 14th lap. We moved along, excited to be almost done and acknowledging the landmarks we had taken to naming during the day. We relished our last passes through Anita Hill, the Tree of Death, Fudge Mountain, Living on the Ledge, Horse Poop Ridge, Son of a Ditch, and Red Clay Rambler. Gene had named most of them as he had a knack for it. We were about a half mile from the finish when we saw lights up ahead. I heard Jim Wei say "Is that you Lauren?" and I answered it was me. We soon caught Jim, his wife Jade and Carolyn Quarterman. We were maybe a quarter mile from the finish when Jim checked his watch and told us we had three minutes to come in under 17 hours. I had no idea of the time and really no time goal in mind, but when I heard that, I decided I was going to get under 17. Jim told us "If you run like the wind, you can make it." I took off past him, sprinting up the trail with Gene at my heels. I heard Jim hollering behind us and egging us on. After 62.5 miles, I ran as fast as I could up the nastiest part of the course. It was a very rooty steep hill with a few stairs which we had aptly named Stairway to Heaven because the main aid station and the finish of each lap was at the top. I ran hard, concentrating on picking up my feet, not falling and breathing. I shimmied past the bench that had tried to take my hip out all day and then on across the finish line. The clock read 16:59:46 for me and Gene was right behind me. Flo Rida's "Low" began playing on the stereo shortly after and I felt like shaking my booty despite what I had just done. Not sure I could actually get low at the time, but I love that song! Here are the results with splits if anyone is interested: http://www.etinternet.net/~runrbike/WW2012_SPLITS.HTM

This is an excellent event. The course offers just enough challenge to make it fun, but not so much to kill ya. I enjoyed the varied terrain of smooth wide path, narrow single track full of roots, sand, boardwalks, bridges, and rolling hills. The aid stations and volunteers are superb, the shirts are nice capilene ones, and the finisher's prizes are cool local pottery. I would definitely do this one again.
Some of the Usual Suspects: Jim, Jade, Carolyn, Gene, me, and Jimbo
What I learned: I need to get in and out of the stops faster. I wasted a lot of time between each lap. The new heel blister issue - not sure what caused it, but it is something to be aware of and try to prevent for Umstead 100.
Me, hubby Chad, and the kids at the finish. (Photo courtesy of Jim Wei)

What went well: I moved well all day and was able to run throughout, even having enough in me to sprint the finish! I stayed warm! No hypothermia here. I didn't fall or hurt myself otherwise. My big toes held up despite my history of having huge blisters on them - The Injinji socks have solved that problem. I drank Gu Brew and water all day and felt great with no hydration issues. I was in a good mood the entire race. Best of all, I felt like I could have continued running.

6 comments:

  1. Great report Lauren! We did have fun! Thanks for being a great running partner and sharing the journey with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Gene! You were the best running partner ever. We just seemed to really mesh at WW! It wouldn't have been half as much fun without your company. :)

      Delete
  2. So great! You looked like you were having fun every lap . . . so glad you really were! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frank! I really was having a blast! Thanks for being out there with the camera supporting us runners...and keeping C West in line for Marie!

      Delete
  3. Great read! I missed the part about being annoyingly cheerful and singing? and what where you singing? Congratulations! See you at the finish line April 1st :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise - I was singing a little bit of everything. I would sing a line or two of one song and then go on to another b/c I couldn't remember anymore words of the first song. I would sing whatever came to mind based on the course or conversation. I forgot to put in the bit about annoying the not so happy runners out on the course. Pretty sure I did annoy some with my cheerful attitude. Oh well!

      Delete